Wednesday, December 11, 2013

'tis the season to celebrate...

Life has been crazy. Good crazy but crazy nonetheless. I am still in recovery mode so the craziness exhausts me but it has been so worth it. We started with a soup party for 24. Five days later was Thanksgiving for seven. Three days later, a birthday celebration for five. Four days later, another birthday celebration and a visit home from my kids. Three days later, a brunch for 16. I can't really talk about that. The food was bought, the dishes ready to go, the tables in place and then we had a plumbing problem big enough to call the plumber. We had to cancel. All that work without being able to actually gather with people we love around our table. WB and I have been eating a lot of eggs and potatoes the last four days. Tomorrow is another birthday celebration. Working on the sauce for the lasagne and then will start on the pie. Whew! It has all been fun but something must be wrong because my photography of all these events is practically nil. Looks like things will be settling down in a couple of days. I will miss it all, especially my kids being home. Here are a few pictures until I am back.


The table was made by WB. He made 2. We proved we could fit 24, if 2 are little ones who can share an end.
We found this old table at a junk shop that's former life was in a Mexican market. We rarely eat around it but it sure comes in handy for holding lots of extras, needed at dinner. It also is a great surface for photography. I am so crazy about texture.
Pine cones collected by us from all over. We collected the ones from the mountains. Our kids have brought some from their homes and around the world. Berries are from our nandina bushes. Pine boughs from a very kind man at the tree stand who gave them to us. I've asked before but this is the first time someone gave us some.





I just love eating outside!

Joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.

9 comments:

Deb said...

Love the Santa mugs! We had some when I was a kid, but I have no clue what happened to them. Yep, it's gorgeous today - grilling tonight!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Lovely table, everyhting is gorgeous, from the table topper, santa mugs and star plates. I also love the centerpiece in the bread bow; mine right now is in a White basket I painted. Hugs,
FABBY

Barbara said...

Barbara you are crazy but you are my kind of crazy. Well you are the crazy I use to be with entertaining, now not so much. You can make a dinner table so simple yet so elegant with just simple things. Beautiful. Love the star plates so much. Your hubby is a wonder and his building skills. What a whirlwind of partying at your house.

Tricia said...

Wow, I would need a few weeks in rehab if I'd done all that entertaining in such a short period! Love this gorgeous outdoor table -- so Christmas-y with its color scheme and natural elements. You get my vote for Hostess with the Mostess!

Tea in Texas said...

Glad you are enjoying your family! Your simple but pretty decorations for the table go great in the outdoor setting. The dough bowl with the pine cones and greenery is wonderful. Love the red plates and white star dishes!

Pam

Dotti said...

So simple and yet so elegant! You have style, my friend! And I'm glad you're on the mend. {But don't rush things.}

Anonymous said...

No wonder you are tired! I got tired just reading about all your parties and your tablescape was absolutely stunning! Loved it. A tear ran down my cheek when I saw those Santa mugs. I have one from a set that my grandmother used to put on her buffet every year at Christmas. To see the whole set on your table brought back many fond memories. Thank you friend.
Sue

Kathleen said...

How beautiful, Barbara! Your outdoor setting is just wonderful.
I hope you are fully recovered. Please join a small but terrific group of gals at Let's Dish on Wed.'s at 7 PM. Post this table then, the gals would love to see it!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful decorations Barbara! May 2015 bring much good health and happiness to your family.
Sue