after the storm

after the storm
After the storm, this little one started to drink the rain gathered in the ribs of the fallen saguaro.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

wrap it up...

When I was a little girl, I thought it would be so much fun to be the person in the fancy department store who did the gift wrapping. Do stores even do that anymore? I was nosy enough to want to see all the gifts. I would imagine the recipients surprise and of course, awe at the amazing wrapping job I would provide. I haven't changed much. I still love to wrap presents.

These days, I know I wouldn't make it a day as a department store gift wrapper because I am not too excited by sparkly ribbons and flashy paper. I tend toward the simple. For years, I have wrapped most packages in brown kraft paper. When my kids were small, we would decorate the paper with their drawings. One year, after a way too ambitious apple picking day, we used the very small ones (gathered by very small hands), cut in half as stamps to decorate the paper. With a sharpie, I added a few green leaves and black seeds to their stamps and we called it good.

Today, I am wrapping a gift for my daughter. She lives too far away. I miss her. She misses us and the desert. This video came out this year and it is wonderful.

I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the desert or is curious about the desert. I have already bought 3 copies and I imagine I will buy more. Take a moment to watch the trailer.

I decided to wrap her present in kraft paper stamped with images of a tortoise.

We have desert tortoises that hang out around here and I know she will like this. I stamped with more intent than I usually do.

I liked the idea of lining up the images rather than the randomness I usually use.


I should have placed the present a little differently on the paper but then it left me with the perfect place for the ribbon.
Then I switched to twine. You can't beat "brown paper packages tied up with string".

I just have to give you a peek at my roll of paper. After years of picking it up here and there, I finally committed to a huge roll. It makes me happy to have it at my disposal for everything. I can't get over how often I use it. I bought my roll and the dispenser at papermart.com.
Love their ribbon too.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

this is a sweet post, I wonder if I can find this dvd, will try...I use brown paper, newspaper, cloth, etc but usually lean toward binding string instead of ribbon, I love this gift wrap! I'm sure your daughter will love both it and your dvd, it is awful to miss a loved one....

Barbara said...

such beautiful thoughts behind your post, loved reading every bit of it and the thought and process.

You are an old soul and I like that about you.

Karen said...

I, too, miss my daughter who has lived way too far away for many years. This month she has moved 2/3 of the way closer, but it's still a long drive. Now that I have a grandson, it seems even farther! Miss being in regular contact with you.

Deb said...

What a great gift!

Dotti said...

What a wonderful post, Barbara! So happy to see you here. :-D

a quiet life said...

such a sweet post on so many levels~

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Barbara,
Wishing you both a very Happy Anniversary!
Hugs from a wet-wet Georgia,
Mariette

AFishGirl said...

Such a loving and beautiful post, Barbara. Warms my heart. I must get that video, will put Pat on the search. So happy to see you blogging.
oxoxox Pam

heyjudephotography said...

What a perfect gift, and something that I think I'd like to see too. Beautiful wrapping, beautiful story. I'm sure she will love it. :)

Lulu said...

One of my daughters moved away last year, and I didn't know until she was gone what a difference her absence would make. We are big users of brown paper, too, so I love seeing your embellishment.

Introverted Art said...

your profile photo is just amazing.

Chris said...

Hi Barbara, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/