A little musical list for Christmas
1. Favorite traditional carol – “Silent Night” tied with “O Holy Night”
2. First childhood song that actually rocked – “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” by Bruce Springsteen
3. Favorite song – “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” (it can make me smile or cry, depending on my mood)
4. Favorite song that I didn’t think I liked much until I heard it by Olivia Olson in Love Actually – “All I Want for Christmas is You”. While you have that on, be sure to listen to Otis Redding doing “White Christmas”. Sigh…
5. Song that always makes me think of my father – “Silver Bells”
6. Favorite musical holiday tradition – playing Christmas music after dessert is finished on Thanksgiving and K playing “Carol of the Bells” and sounding exactly like George Winston
7. Speaking of George Winston, album that I have bought so many times for gifts and the perfect relaxation after a crazy day, be sure to listen with a cup cocoa – “December” by George Winston
8. Album I waited years for – “James Taylor at Christmas”
9. Sexiest Christmas song – “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”
10. Best remake of a song for Christmas that I never even thought of as a Christmas song (composed and recorded by Gordon Lightfoot) and it was barely on my radar – “Song for a Winter’s Night” by Sarah McLachlan
11. Only version of “Rudolph” I can stand – Jack Johnson but I still don’t want to hear it
12. Song that Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas if I didn’t hear at least once but please, don’t make me listen to any other version – “12 Days of Christmas” by John Denver and the Muppets –“ ba-dum, bum, bum”
13. The most poignant Christmas song - “River” by Joni Mitchell.
14. Best Christmas album my son ever gave me –“I Pray on Christmas” by the Blind Boys of Alabama
15. Best Christmas album my daughter ever gave me – “Snow Angels”, an album put out years ago by the Nature Company
16. Song that just hearing the first few notes, instantly makes you know it is Christmas time – “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
17. Worst Christmas album WB ever bought – Leon Redbone’s Christmas Island but I had to take it all back when I heard his duet with Zooey Dechanel of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” on the Elf soundtrack. It’s wonderful!
18. Song WB likes but I don’t – Feliz Navidad. Actually this is probably the best song that he likes and I don’t. This category could be a whole other list.
19. Best song for dancing in the kitchen with WB at Christmastime – Eugene Ruffalo’s “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
20. Will making this list make me realize the ridiculous amount of Christmas music I have and how I don’t need any more? Probably not.
I'd love to hear about your favorites and not so favorites.