after the storm

after the storm
Welcome autumn!

Friday, March 25, 2011

among the hummingbirds...

Have to start this post with a "GO WILDCATS!" "ELITE EIGHT, BABY!" said in my very best Dick Vitale voice. Moving on now...

As you know, this winter was a c-o-l-d one for us. I know many of you would scoff at that description, especially my friend, Debbie, who spent 26 winters in North Dakota. For us though, it was cold and our normal way of gardening was thrown for a loop. We are still in a wait-and-see mode. Will the lemon tree survive? Did the bougainvilleas make it? Will that silk oak ever come back? Almost every day in the last two weeks, I see something new making its appearance again. The hummingbirds really don't care about the lemon tree, the bougainvillea or the silk oak but they sure are happy about the salvia.


On any given day, I can usually sit for a few minutes and soon will see a hummingbird or three. Happy hummingbirds make me and my camera happy too. They barely notice me. They are sometimes so close that I need to step back because my lens won't focus so closely. Yesterday, I tried to read outside. The sun felt so good, the garden showing such signs of life and the temperature just perfect. How could I read when the hummingbirds were posing for me?

Look who is out of hibernation and HUNGRY!



Hope spring is finding you too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eye-popn' photo's, WOW!, these are amazing, I love it when the hummingbirds come back. My feeders are ready, I'm looking!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Sandi (Meme) said...

Great photos! Hummingbirds are so dainty! Thanks for sharing! Sandi

Anonymous said...

I thought of you this morning as soon as I saw the headline. It was too late here to stay up to watch! Love these hummingbird photos. I can't wait until ours come back.

a quiet life said...

love love all your captures, pure joy~

everyday i have several hundred finches, i am mesmerized with them too.

Marigene said...

Wow, you got some great shots of those beautiful little guys, Barbara.

Patrice said...

What gorgeous photography!

Cathy H. said...

Breathtaking!!